Friday, September 23, 2016

Scrap the Challenge: Focus on the Story

Today Mari and I are back with a new challenge in which we are focusing on telling a story. I had a few ideas going into making this page, but I finally settled on telling a recent story involving my son who is learning to drive. While backing out of my parents driveway, he scraped the rear panel of the car. The worst part was that I was sitting in the front seat and knew that it was going to happen and I just could not get the word STOP to come out of my mouth. Ugh!! He was pretty devastated. There are many opportunities to learn important lessons and I chose to make this a good one. We were on our way to church and the two of us sat in the car and talked while my mom and daughter went in to the service. 

I pointed out that there were many things to be thankful for with this incident. First, and most importantly no one else was involved. No one was hurt. It happened on private property so there was no need to involve the police. We didn't have to make a claim on our insurance so our premiums wouldn't go through the roof. It was only a matter of time before something happened with the car and a teenage driver. I was rear ended as a teenager and the car was totaled. My husband did some pretty significant damage to a car as well backing up...there was a pole that got in his way. It happens, we are human and make mistakes, and we are just hoping that he has learned a lesson from this day. Never put the car in reverse!! Ha! If only it were that simple. 

I decided to use the Better Together collection by Amy Tangerine for this layout. I had recently used this collection on a layout and loved it so much I pulled it out again. The arrow paper was perfect. It brought attention to the photos, plus I love it when the paper or embellishments correlate with the photos and the journaling.

Sarcasm and teenagers go hand in hand. So I thought that the NOT stickers were perfect above the phrase sticker. 


I fussy cut some cameras and placed them around the page. It bothered me a little that I only had one pop of red on the page, but I decided that I needed to get over it. I also only had two stars that were the yellow. Again, I decided that it was better to actually use the product than to leave them in my stash just because I didn't have a third one. I would have preferred to have a visual triangle of stars across my page, but at least I used them!!! 


I briefly debated on typing my journaling on the computer, but decided against it for one reason. It's a personal page...yes, I know that a lot of layouts are personal. But I really wanted him to know that things happen and it truly is beneficial if you can find the good that comes with the bad. 


Here's a link to the process video. Be sure and check out Mari's channel for her video as well. As always, if you have any ideas for challenges let us know. We love to hear from our viewers :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment