Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Free Flow Wednesday on the Crafty Maven Channel

Hey friends! I hope this week has been treating you well.  Today I am up on the Crafty Maven channel with a layout that I created using my stash, specifically items from previous Hip Kits that I hadn't used. When I break down kits (I can't kill them...I've tried), I put the contents into an iris container containing odds and ends from previous kits that I would like to use up. If I get tired of looking at it in the iris container, it then goes into my stash or purge pile. I was thrilled when I successfully used everything for this layout from the iris container...I think that was a first for me!

The mood board this week is a beautiful board filled with bright aquas and citron greens. It felt a bit contemporary to me, which is not my usual style, but I challenged myself to stay true to the board while staying true to myself. I decided to pull the colors from the board, the flower. the bow, and the layers underneath the clock.



I decided to use white cardstock as my base and then have the pops of color as my paper layers. The papers are all from Chickaniddy, and I don't know the names of the patterns since these were scraps and 6x6 sheets. I did pop the photo up on craft foam and placed a doily underneath the photo. I decided on using the white doily to keep the layout looking bright and airy. I very lightly distressed the edges of the papers to give them a bit more texture and interest. It always helps to do this before adhering the layers together...ask me how I know this :)


For the pop of yellow I decided on a Dear Lizzy tag that has been in that container for a very long time...I am not sure what collection it is from, but I am happy that it made it onto a page. The glitter bow is from Heidi Swapp, the enamel dots are from Doodlebug and MME, and the ephemera and gold hearts are from Pink Paislee Citrus Bliss line.


I had not planned on backing this layout onto another piece of cardstock, but I had to when I placed my layout directly on the Heidi Swapp mist that I had laying on my desk. To be fair, I was cleaning up, however one should always clean up liquid things first! Lesson learned.  I quickly pulled up the bottom layers and then trimmed off an inch of the left side of the layout. At this time, my phone was charging because the battery was low. I decided to finish the layout while I had the time. I found this cardstock which was a perfect match. The border was a bit too much for my tastes, so I decided on backing the layout onto a piece of vellum to soften the edges. I gutted the vellum because there is no way that I was going to waste any more than I had to underneath the layout.  I did sew the layers down with simple white stitching around the edges.



I plan on journaling on this layout, but haven't decided if I am going to do it by hand or typed strips underneath the photo. Juliet (kitty) has slept in Emily's room for as long as I can remember. Throughout the night she manages to get on Emily's pillow and Emily is lucky if she has a little bit to rest her head on. My goal is to continue to document the little things like this...for these are the things that I would like to remember in my childhood.

Other supplies used were Heidi Swapp Citron Color Shine and the word dream is also from one of her lines. Thanks so much for stopping by today! I have a link to the Process Video if you'd like to take a peek. 



No comments:

Post a Comment