Saturday, January 16, 2016

Scrap the Challenge with Kelly and Mari

I am so excited to share that Mari Clarke and I are working in collaboration to bring a new series to both of our channels.  It is called Scrap the Challenge and it will involve a series of videos where we challenge ourselves in some particular way.  Our goal is to have two videos a month.  This month we chose a sketch that Mari found on Pinterest.


I decided to use the Shine collection by Maggie Holmes. I have only used this collection for one other layout, and I *need* her new collection. So that means I need to make room in my stash! I stayed pretty true to the sketch.  I knew that on the chipboard sheet of the Rise collection that there was a banner and I was determined to use it on this page. Banners seem to be a bit difficult for me to successfully get on a page, so I was making sure that this would was going to be used.

The sketch had some type of mixed media in the background. I decided that I wanted to bring out more of the pink in the collection, but I really wanted it to be subtle. I used light modeling paste and a bit of ink from my Tim Holtz distress ink Victorian Velvet and it made the most beautiful shade. The stencil that I used is from Crafter's Workshop and is called Believe Script.


One thing that I love about Maggie's collections are her birds. I love birds and will not tire of putting them on a page.  I was finally able to get one of these diamonds on a page, so if I never use another one I will be just fine. 


I had a package of Heidi Swapp rub-ons in my stash that are old and it was apparent when I used them on the page. They didn't quite rub on clean, but that was perfect for this page. It just added to the distressed look on the background and I love the way that it turned out. I also sewed through some of the paper layers and through the title as well. The final touch was a few sprinkles of Heidi Swapp gold color shine.

I have a process video that can be found here:


Mari's video can be found here:



No comments:

Post a Comment