Monday, July 4, 2016

Scrap the Challenge: #Dapper

Mari and I have another challenge video up and for this challenge we decided to use our stash kit and use mixed media. I wanted to up the challenge for me...all five of the layouts I have created with the stash kit focused on the more feminine pieces of the kit. I wanted to make a masculine page. My son had recently gotten a hair cut and to say it was a change is an understatement! I wanted to document this special time in his life. 

I started by pulling out pieces of the kit that were typically more masculine. I focused on the neutral colors, and initially pulled in teal as well. In the end my color palette was grey, cream, white, kraft, gold, and a pop of black. I don't normally mix kraft and grey. In my world they complete with one another instead of complementing each other. But I really thought that they worked well together on this page. The background patterned paper was not in the kit, but it has been in my stash for quite a while. I originally planned on trimming off the yellow border, but in the end I decided to stitch around the edge and bring in the gold to make the color pop.

 I layered up several of the 6x6 papers and some of the ephemera to make a focal point for my photo. Some of these papers I had already used and wanted to challenge myself to use those before I cut into whole sheets.  I used black gesso on a Heidi Swapp stencil that I had in an argyle pattern. I felt like it fit my "dapper" theme. It was a huge leap for me to put black gesso onto the pattern paper. There's no covering that up with white paint if it doesn't turn out. 

  
 I decided to use some stamps to add additional pops of black around the photo and to draw your eye around the page. I used some Ali Edward stamps and then just stamped off the image two more times. I like the way that it turned out. The bow tie is one of my favorite ephemera pieces on this page. It just fit the theme so perfectly!


I am thrilled with the way that it turned out. Masculine layouts are just more difficult for me. I'm not sure if it is because of the colors or my lack of masculine products in my stash. However, I have proven to myself that it can be done if you just take some time and plan out your supplies. I have a process video if you'd like to take a peek. Be sure to check out Mari's video as well! Her channel is linked in the description box of my video.



No comments:

Post a Comment